Codes and Frequencies
AYUSHCREC indicates whether sample adults had used ayurveda because "a conventional medical professional suggested you try [it]" (2002) or because "it was recommended by a health care provider" (2007). Only sample adults who had seen a practitioner for ayurveda during the past 12 months (AYUYR) and, in 2002, had used ayurveda for a specific health problem or condition (AYUTREAT) were asked their reasons for using ayurveda.
Other reasons for using ayurveda that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- AYUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- AYUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- AYUSWELL (General wellness)
- AYUSMEDCOST (Medical treatments expensive)
- AYUSMEDFAIL (Medical treatment not help)
- AYUSINTER (Interesting to try)
- AYUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- AYUSRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
For information about the full range of variables related to ayurveda, including definitions, see AYUYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for ayurveda during the past 12 months and have used ayurveda to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for ayurveda during the past 12 months.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT