Codes and Frequencies
For sample children age 6 to 17 years who have trouble seeing (or if it unknown if they have trouble seeing), this variable indicates whether the child can read the board from the back of the classroom.
Other variables are included in the 2002 survey.
Similar variables only in 2008 include:
- VDIFDISTANCE Need glasses to read street signs or see in the distance, 2008 sample children only
- VDIFREADYN Need glasses to read, write, see well close up, 2008 sample children only
- VAIDRIVETV Use glasses to drive, read road and street signs, watch TV, or see things in the distance, 2008 adults only
- VAIDREADCOOK Use glasses to read books or newspapers, write, or see other things up close, 2008 only
Other variables on vision for 2008 include:
- VISIONREHAB Use any vision rehab services, 2002 and 2008
- VDIFCLOSE How difficult seeing up close, 1999, 2002 and 2008
- VDIFDRIVE How difficult driving, 1999, 2002 and 2008
- VDIFOBJECT How difficult noticing objects, 1999, 2002 and 2008
- VDIFREAD How difficult to read, 1999, 2002 and 2008
- VDIFSHELF How difficult finding shelved objects, 1999, 2002 and 2008
- VDIFSTEPS How difficult stepping down at night
- 1999, 2002 and 2008
- 2002: Sample children age 6 to 17 who have no trouble seeing or who have trouble seeing but are not blind, or whose vision status is unknown.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT