Codes and Frequencies
VITMOVITC indicates whether a sample person had taken vitamin C in the past 30 days. In 1987, this information was asked of sample adults who had taken vitamin or mineral supplements (VITANY) and vitamin C (VITAMINC) in the past 12 months. In 2007, this information was collected from both sample adults and sample children who had taken vitamins or minerals in the past 30 days (VITMO).
In both 1987 and 2007, persons with an affirmative response to VITMOVITC took vitamin C as a stand-alone supplement, rather than as part of a combination vitamin and/or mineral supplement.
Persons taking such a combination supplement (VITMOCOMBO) were not asked which particular vitamins or minerals were included in those supplements, so it is not possible to ascertain whether vitamin C was included in a given sample person's multi-vitamin/multi-mineral supplement.
In 1987, sample adults were asked, "Did you take any vitamin C in the past month?"
In 2007, responses to VITMOVITC by sample adults were obtained as follows: While administering the NHIS, interviewers showed respondents a flash card containing a list of vitamins and minerals and asked, "During the past 12 months, have you taken any vitamins or minerals listed on this card for yourself?" Respondents who answered affirmatively (i.e., a "Yes" response in VITYR) were asked, "During the past 30 days, did you take any of these vitamins or minerals?" Sample adults who answered that question affirmatively (i.e., a "Yes" response in VITMO) were instructed, "Please tell me which of these vitamins or minerals you took in the past 30 days. If you take a multi-vitamin or mineral, include it as one supplement." Interviewers were told to "enter all that apply." The questions to collect this information for sample children were similar, except respondents were asked whether the sample child had taken any vitamins or minerals listed on a card.
Vitamin C was one of 20 possible specific vitamins and minerals that sample adults and respondents for sample children could indicate using in the past month in 1987 and/or 2007.
The other such vitamins/minerals recognized by the NHIS (with years indicating availability) are:
- Calcium (VITMOCALC, 1987 and 2007)
- Coral calcium (VITMOCCALC, 2007 only)
- Chromium (VITMOCHRO, 2007 only)
- Folic acid/folate (VITMOFOLIC, 2007 only)
- Iron (VITMOIRON, 2007 only)
- Magnesium (VITMOMAG, 2007 only)
- Niacin (VITMONIA, 2007 only)
- Vitamin Packet (VITMOPACK, 2007 only)
- Potassium (VITMOPOTA, 2007 only)
- Selenium (VITMOSELN, 2007 only)
- Vitamin A (VITMOVITA, 1987 and 2007)
- Vitamin B6 (VITMOVITB6, 2007 only)
- Vitamin B12 (VITMOVITB12, 2007 only)
- Vitamin B complex (VITMOVITB, 2007 only)
- Vitamin D (VITMOVITD, 2007 only)
- Vitamin E (VITMOVITE, 1987 and 2007)
- Vitamin K (VITMOVITK, 2007 only)
- Zinc (VITMOZINC, 2007 only)
- Multivitamin and/or mineral combination (VITMOCOMBO, 1987 and 2007)
For 2007 only, the summary variables VIT1MOST and VIT2MOST report the vitamins and minerals taken most often by sample adults and sample children during the past month. For more information about the full range of variables related to the use of vitamins and minerals, see VITMO.
- 1987: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from CACT supplement) who took vitamin/mineral supplements and took vitamin C in the past 12 months.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children under 18 who have taken vitamins or minerals in the past 30 days.
- 1987, 2007
- 1987, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT