Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults aged 40 years and older, SIGEV indicates whether they ever had a sigmoidoscopy.
SIGEV is one of a series of periodically-asked questions covering cancer screening practices. There are several related variables with information about when individuals received their most recent sigmoidoscopy:
- SIGLNO: Time since last sigmoidoscopy: Number of units
- SIGLTP: Time since last sigmoidoscopy: Time period
- SIGLDMO: Calendar month of last sigmoidoscopy
- SIGLDYR: Calendar year of last sigmoidoscopy
- SIGLESTY: Time since last sigmoidoscopy: Grouped year estimate
- SIGLGYRR1: Time since last sigmoidoscopy: Grouped year recode 1 (2000 method)
- SIGLGYRR2: Time since last sigmoidoscopy: Grouped year recode 2 (2005 method)
According to the 2010 and 2015 Field Representative's Manuals, this and related questions were asked:
The Manual further provided the following definition for cancer:
The Manual also provided the following statement regarding how the data from the Cancer Screening questions would be used:
Beginning in 2019, the variable COLSIGEV indicates whether or not the person had a sigmoidoscopy. IPUMS NHIS staff constructed COLSIGEV for 2010, 2013, 2015, and 2018 using information from SIGEV and COLEV to have a comparable indicator for whether someone had a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy.
- 2010; 2013; 2015; 2018: Sample adults age 40+.
- 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018
- 2010, 2013, 2015, 2018 : SAMPWEIGHT