Codes and Frequencies
Among sample adults, this variable indicates whether respondents ever received the hepatitis A vaccine. The question did not require verification of the immunization.
The interviewer prefaced the question by describing the hepatitis A vaccine as, "given as a two dose series routinely to some children starting at 1 year of age, and to some adults and people who travel outside the United States. Although it can be given as a combination vaccine with hepatitis B, it is different from the hepatitis B shot, and has only been available since 1995."
Added in 2008, the question for SHOTHEPAEV was part of the Adult Immunization Supplement (part of the Adult Access to Health Care and Utilization section). This supplement included a set of questions designed to measure the receipt of relatively new vaccines. In addition to the question for SHOTHEPAEV, other questions added in the supplement and available for 2008 forward (except SHOTET10Y) include:
- received tetanus shot in 2005 or later (SHOTET05 )
- number of shots received (SHOTHEPANO)
- ever had the Zoster or Shingles vaccine (SHOTSHINGLE)
- if the tetanus shot (given in 2005 or later) included pertussis (SHOTETPERT)
- had tetanus shot, past 10 years (SHOTET10Y, 1991, 1993-1995, 1998-1999, 2008-2009)
- traveled outside U.S. and MDCs since 1995 (TRAVLDC95)
- ever had any chronic liver condition (LIVERCHRON)
- 2008-2013; 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2008-2018 : SAMPWEIGHT