Codes and Frequencies
Among sample adults who had a tetanus shot in 2005 or later or if it was unknown if it was 2005 or later, this variable indicates if the tetanus shot included the pertussis vaccine.
Interviewers posed the question by stating, "There are currently two types of tetanus shots available today. One is the Td or tetanus-diphtheria vaccine and the other is called Tdap or Adacel (trademark). They are similar except the Tdap shot also includes a pertussis (per-TUH-sis) or whooping cough vaccine. Thinking back to your most recent tetanus shot, did the doctor tell you the vaccine included the pertussis or whooping cough vaccine? The shot is often called Tdap or ADACEL (trademark)."
Prior to 2012, only sample adults 18-64 were asked this question. Beginning in 2012, all sample adults age 18 and over were asked this question. In 2012, the question text was slightly modified. The health care provider or the vaccine information sheet told the respondent whether vaccine included the pertussis or whooping cough vaccine. BOOSTRIX (trademark) shot was added in the list. For exact question wording, please refer to the "Survey Text" tab.
Added in 2008, the question for SHOTETPERT was part of the Adult Immunization Supplement (part of the Adult Access to Health Care and Utilization section). This supplement included a set of questions designed to measure the receipt of relatively new vaccines. In addition to the question for SHOTETPERT, other questions added in the supplement and available for 2008 and forward (except SHOTET10Y) include:
- received tetanus shot in 2005 or later (SHOTET05 )
- ever received hepatitis A vaccine (SHOTHEPAEV)
- number of hepatitis A shots received (SHOTHEPANO)
- received Zoster or Shingles vaccine (SHOTSHINGLE)
- had tetanus shot, past 10 years (SHOTET10Y, 1991, 1993-1995, 1998-1999, 2008-2009)
- traveled outside U.S. and MDCs since 1995 (TRAVLDC95)
- ever had any chronic liver condition (LIVERCHRON)
- 2008-2011: Sample adults aged 18-64 years who have had a tetanus shot in 2005 or beyond (or for whom this was unknown).
- 2012-2018: Sample adults aged 18 and over who have had a tetanus shot in 2005 or beyond (or for whom this was unknown).
- 2008-2018 : SAMPWEIGHT