Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons age 55 and over in 1984 and under 18 in 1988, this variable indicates if the respondent ever had a rheumatic fever. The inquiry did not require a diagnosis by a medical doctor or health professional. A definition of rheumatic fever was not provided in the 1984 or 1988 Field Representative's Manuals and the term was assumed to be respondent defined.
In 1984, this variable was part of the Supplement on Aging. Along with RHEUMFEV, respondents were asked if they ever had any 12 other conditions and could indicate as many as necessary. The Supplement also asked respondents if they had or ever had vision, hearing, heart, and bone conditions and other impairments.
- ALZHEIMEV ever had Alzheimer's disease
- OSTEOPOREV ever told had osteoporosis
- HARDARTEV ever had hardening of the arteries
- HYPERTENEV ever told had hypertension
- HEARTATTOEV ever had other heart attack
- CHEARTDIEV ever told had coronary heart disease
- ANGIPECEV ever told had angina pectoris
- HEARTATTEV ever told had heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- BROKEHIPEV ever had a broken hip
- CANCEREV ever told had cancer
In 1988, this variable was part of a series of questions on child health conditions in the Supplement on Child Health. Along with RHEUMFEV, respondents were asked if the child ever had any of 33 conditions, grouped in nine categories.
- 1984: Sample persons age 55+.
- 1988: Sample persons under age 18.
- 1984, 1988
- 1984, 1988 : SAMPWEIGHT