Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons age 55 and over, this variable indicates if the respondent ever had s broken hip. The inquiry did not require a diagnosis by a medical doctor or health professional.
This variable was part of the 1984 Supplement on Aging, which asked respondents if they had or ever had vision, hearing, heart, and bone conditions and other impairments.
Along with BROKEHIPEV, respondents were asked if they ever had any 12 other conditions and could indicate as many as necessary.
- ALZHEIMEV ever had Alzheimer's disease
- OSTEOPOREV ever told had osteoporosis
- HARDARTEV ever had hardening of the arteries
- HYPERTENEV ever told had hypertension
- RHEUMFEV ever had rheumatic fever
- CHEARTDIEV ever told had coronary heart disease
- RHEUMHARTEV ever had rheumatic heart disease
- ANGIPECEV ever told had angina pectoris
- HEARTATTEV ever told had heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- HEARTATTOEV ever had other heart attack
- CANCEREV ever told had cancer
- 1984: Sample persons age 55+.
- 1984 : SAMPWEIGHT