Codes and Frequencies
For persons ages 5 to 24 in 1974 and sample children ages 3 to 17 in 1984, ORTHEVER indicates whether the person has ever had his/her teeth straightened or had braces or bands placed on his/her teeth.
Please see the Comparability tab for more information on differences in the universe.
ORTHEVER is part of the Dental Health Supplement, which contains a number of questions about orthodontic care.
Variables describing the need for orthodontic care:
- THNKTETH indicates whether the respondent thinks the person's teeth need to be straightened.
- TOLDTETH indicates whether a dentist or doctor has said that the person's teeth need to be straightened.
Variables describing the receipt of orthodontic care:
- DENORTHOVNO records the number of visits in the past two weeks to an orthodontist.
- DENTSTRA records the number of visits in the past two weeks for teeth straightening.
- ORTH12MO records the number of visits in the past twelve months to an orthodontist.
- ORTH2WK records the number of visits in the past two weeks to an orthodontist.
Variables describing the reason a person did not receive orthodontic care:
- ORTHNOR1 indicates the first reason given for not receiving orthodontic care.
- ORTHNOR2 indicates the second reason given for not receiving orthodontic care.
- ORTHNOR3 indicates the third reason given for not receiving orthodontic care.
- ORTHNORM indicates the main reason given for not receiving orthodontic care.
The age universe changes over time. In 1974, is asked of all persons ages 5-24 in 1974. In 1981, this question is included in the Child Health Supplement and is asked only about sample children ages 3-17.
The question text changed slightly, both years asked about teeth straightening and bands placed on teeth. The 1974 interviewer instructions make it clear that braces are included as an included orthodontic procedure, but only the 1981 survey specifically braces in the survey question. Please see the Survey Text tab for the original questions.
The 1974 interviewer instructions note that retainers, fasteners, and spacers should not be included if they are worn instead of wearing braces. Tooth extraction performed to relieve a "crowded" mouth was to be included only if braces or bands were subsequently used.
The 1981 instructions note that braces and bands worn only at night are to be included along with those worn continuously. Interviewers were to footnote tooth extraction performed to allow other teeth to "straighten themselves".
- 1974: Persons age 5 to 24.
- 1981: Sample children age 3 to 17.
- 1974, 1981