Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had "pain, aching, stiffness or swelling in or around a joint" in the past 12 months (JNTYR), JNTRHEUMARTH reports responses to the question, "Did a doctor ever tell you that any of the following conditions were responsible for your joint symptoms: rheumatoid arthritis?"
The Medline Plus Medical Encyclopedia defines rheumatoid arthritis as "a long-term disease that causes inflammation of the joints and surrounding tissues. It can also affect other organs." According to this source, rheumatoid arthritis is considered an autoimmune disease, in which the immune system confuses healthy tissue for foreign substances and the body attacks itself.
In 1999, interviewers asked whether a doctor had diagnosed other conditions as responsible for joint problems. The other variables in this series are the following:
- JNTGOUT (Joint symptoms due to gout)
- JNTBURSITIS (Joint symptoms due to bursitis)
- JNTOSTEOARTH (Joint symptoms due to osteo- or degenerative arthritis)
- JNTOTHARTH (Joint symptoms due to other arthritis)
- JNTOTHCAUSE (Joint symptoms due to other causes)
- 1999: Sample adults age 18+ with pain, aching, stiffness or swelling in or around a joint in the past 12 months.
- 1999 : SAMPWEIGHT