Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had "pain, aching, stiffness or swelling in or around a joint" in the past 12 months (JNTYR), JNTOSTEOARTH reports responses to the question, "Did a doctor ever tell you that any of the following conditions were responsible for your joint symptoms: Osteo- or degenerative arthritis?"
The Medline Plus Medical Encyclopedia states that osteoarthritis is the most common joint disorder. According to this source, "The disease causes the cushioning [cartilage] between the bone joints to wear away, leading to pain and stiffness."
In 1999, interviewers asked whether a doctor had diagnosed other conditions as responsible for joint problems. The other variables in this series are the following:
- JNTGOUT (Joint symptoms due to gout)
- JNTBURSITIS (Joint symptoms due to bursitis)
- JNTRHEUMARTH (Joint symptoms due to rheumatoid arthritis)
- JNTOTHARTH (Joint symptoms due to other arthritis)
- JNTOTHCAUSE (Joint symptoms due to other causes)
- 1999: Sample adults age 18+ with pain, aching, stiffness or swelling in or around a joint in the past 12 months.
- 1999 : SAMPWEIGHT