Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had "pain, aching, stiffness or swelling in or around a joint" in the past 12 months (JNTYR), JNTBURSITIS reports responses to the question, "Did a doctor ever tell you that any of the following conditions were responsible for your joint symptoms: Bursitis or tendonitis?"
The Medline Plus Medical Encyclopedia defines bursitis as "inflammation of the fluid-filled sac (bursa) that lies between a tendon or skin, or between a tendon and bone." The same source defines tendonitis as "inflammation, irritation, and swelling of a tendon, which is the fibrous structure that joins muscle to bone."
In 1999, interviewers asked whether a doctor had diagnosed other conditions as responsible for joint problems. The other variables in this series are the following:
- JNTGOUT (Joint symptoms due to gout)
- JNTOSTEOARTH (Joint symptoms due to osteo- or degenerative arthritis)
- JNTRHEUMARTH (Joint symptoms due to rheumatoid arthritis)
- JNTOTHARTH (Joint symptoms due to other arthritis)
- JNTOTHCAUSE (Joint symptoms due to other causes)
- 1999: Sample adults age 18+ with pain, aching, stiffness or swelling in or around a joint in the past 12 months.
- 1999 : SAMPWEIGHT