Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had "pain, aching, stiffness or swelling in or around a joint" in the past 12 months (JNTYR), JNTGOUT reports responses to the question, "Did a doctor ever tell you that any of the following conditions were responsible for your joint symptoms: Gout?"
"What Is Gout?," a publication by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, defines gout as "one of the most painful forms of arthritis" which "occurs when too much uric acid builds up in the body."
In 1999, interviewers asked whether a doctor had diagnosed other conditions as responsible for joint problems. The other variables in this series are the following:
- JNTBURSITIS (Joint symptoms due to bursitis)
- JNTOSTEOARTH (Joint symptoms due to osteo- or degenerative arthritis)
- JNTRHEUMARTH (Joint symptoms due to rheumatoid arthritis)
- JNTOTHARTH (Joint symptoms due to other arthritis)
- JNTOTHCAUSE (Joint symptoms due to other causes)
- 1999: Sample adults age 18+ with pain, aching, stiffness or swelling in or around a joint in the past 12 months.
- 1999 : SAMPWEIGHT