Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had seen a practitioner for hypnosis during the past 12 months (HYPYR), HYPUSOTHER indicates whether they had used hypnosis for some reason other than the rationales previously specified in 2002.
In 2002, interviewers asked specifically about the following reasons for using hypnosis:
- HYPUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- HYPUSMEDCOST (Medical treatments expensive)
- HYPUSMEDFAIL (Medical treatment not help)
- HYPUSHCREC (HC provided recommended)
- HYPUSINTER (Interesting to try)
- HYPUSCIGS (Quit smoking)
- HYPUSSLEEP (Sleeping better)
- HYPUSWEIGHT (Losing weight)
- HYPUSALC (Overcoming alcohol or substance abuse)
- HYPUSPAIN (Reducing pain)
- HYPUSSTRESS (Reducing stress)
- HYPUSANXDEP (Anxiety or depression)
- HYPUSFEAR (Fear or phobia)
- HYPUSMEMORY (Improving memory)
HYPUSOTHER thus refers to the use of hypnosis for reasons other than those listed above.
In 2007, information was collected on four additional specific reasons for using hypnosis:
- HYPUSWELL (General wellness)
- HYPUSRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
- HYPUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- HYPUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
For information about the full range of variables related to hypnosis, including definitions, see HYPYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for hypnosis during the past 12 months.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT