Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had seen a practitioner for hypnosis during the past 12 months (HYPYR), HYPUSINTER indicates whether they had used hypnosis because "you thought it would be interesting to try."
Other reasons for using hypnosis that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- HYPUSWELL (General wellness)
- HYPUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- HYPUSRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
- HYPUSMEDCOST (Medical treatments expensive)
- HYPUSMEDFAIL (Medical treatment not help)
- HYPUSHCREC (HC provided recommended)
- HYPUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- HYPUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- HYPUSCIGS (Quitting smoking)
- HYPUSWEIGHT (Losing weight)
- HYPUSSLEEP (Sleeping better)
- HYPUSALC (Overcoming alcohol or substance abuse)
- HYPUSPAIN (Reducing pain)
- HYPUSSTRESS (Reducing stress)
- HYPUSANXDEP (Anxiety or depression)
- HYPUSFEAR (Fear or phobia)
- HYPUSMEMORY (Improving memory)
- HYPUSOTHER (Other)
For information about the full range of variables related to hypnosis, including definitions, see HYPYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for hypnosis during the past 12 months.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT