Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had seen a practitioner for hypnosis during the past 12 months (HYPYR), HYPUSANXDEP indicates whether they had used hypnosis for anxiety or depression.
Other reasons for using hypnosis that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- HYPUSWELL (General wellness)
- HYPUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- HYPUSRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
- HYPUSMEDCOST (Medical treatments expensive)
- HYPUSMEDFAIL (Medical treatment not help)
- HYPUSHCREC (HC provided recommended)
- HYPUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- HYPUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- HYPUSINTER (Interesting to try)
- HYPUSCIGS (Quit smoking)
- HYPUSSLEEP (Sleeping better)
- HYPUSWEIGHT (Losing weight)
- HYPUSALC (Overcoming alcohol or substance abuse)
- HYPUSPAIN (Reducing pain)
- HYPUSSTRESS (Reducing stress)
- HYPUSFEAR (Fear or phobia)
- HYPUSMEMORY (Improving memory)
- HYPUSOTHER (Other)
For information about the full range of variables related to hypnosis, including definitions, see HYPYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for hypnosis during the past 12 months.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT