Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who are not deaf or who are deaf but hear worse in one ear than the other, HRFAM indicates whether the respondent was told by friends or family members that they have a hearing problem.
Other hearing related variables are included in the 2007 survey.
- Quality of hearing (HEARING, 1997-2009)
- Referred to an audiologist, past 5 years (HRAUD, 2007 only)
- Referred to a hearing specialist, past 5 years (HRSPEC, 2007 only)
- Cause of hearing loss (HRCAUSE1,2007, 2003)
- Hearing loss sudden or gradual (HRSUDDEN, 2007)
- Frustrated with hearing loss (HRFRUST, 2007)
- Frequency hearing causes worry about safety (HRSAFETY, 2007)
- Age at beginning of adult's hearing loss (HEARDAAGE, 1999, 2002, 2007)
- Hearing without hearing aid, left ear (HRLEFT ,1971, 1977, 1990-1991, 1999, 2007-2008)
- Hearing without hearing aid, right ear (HRRIGHT, 1971, 1977, 1990-1991, 1999, 2007-2008)
- Can hear and understand someone who whispers from across a quiet room (HRWHISP, 1971, 1977, 1990-1991, 1999, 2007)
- Can hear and understand someone who shouts from across a quiet room (HRSHOUT 1971, 1977, 1990-1991, 1999, 2007)
- Can hear and understand if someone speaks loudly in the "better ear" from across a quiet room (HRSPEAK, 1971, 1977, 1990-1991, 1999, 2007)
- Can hear and understand if someone talks in a normal voice from across a room (HRSPEAK, 1971, 1977, 1990-1991, 1999, 2007)
- Trouble with hearing in presence of background noise (HRBACK, 2007 only)
In 2007 hearing problem related variables were part of Sample Adult Hearing Supplement, (sponsored by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), which is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The hearing supplement questions were included to address the Healthy People 2010 program initiatives. Questions included:
- hearing loss related to noise exposure: see HRISKWRKEV, ever regularly exposed to loud noise on the job
- access to hearing services and assistive devices: see HRALDUSE, used assistive-listening device
- reasons for not using hearing devices when recommended: see HRAREC, hearing aid ever recommended but never used
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who are not deaf or whose hearing status is unknown or who are deaf but hear worse in one ear than the other.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT