Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who have trouble hearing or are deaf, or who hear worse in one ear than the other (for 2007), HRCAUSE1 indicates the respondent's report of the cause of the hearing loss. Respondents could identify one of 13 causes in 2007 and 11 causes in 2002.
Other variables are included in the 2002 and 2007 survey.
Examples of hearing variables include:
- Referred to an audiologist, past 5 years (HRAUD, 2007 only)
- Referred to a hearing specialist, past 5 years (HRAUD, 2007 only)
- Told of hearing problem by friends or relatives (HRFAM, 2007 only)
- Hearing loss sudden or gradual (HRSUDDEN, 2007)
- Frequency hearing causes worry about safety (HRSAFETY, 2007)
- Age at beginning of adult's hearing loss (HEARDAAGE, 1999, 2002, 2007)
- Hearing without hearing aid, left ear (HRLEFT ,1971, 1977, 1990-1991, 1999, 2007-2008)
- Hearing without hearing aid, right ear (HRRIGHT, 1971, 1977, 1990-1991, 1999, 2007-2008)
- Can hear and understand someone who whispers from across a quiet room (HRWHISP, 2007 only)
- Can hear and understand someone who shouts from across a quiet room (HRSHOUT 2007 only)
- Can hear and understand if someone speaks loudly in the "better ear" from across a quiet room (HRSPEAK, 2007 only)
- Can hear and understand if someone talks in a normal voice from across a room (HRSPEAK, 2007 only)
- Trouble with hearing in presence of background noise (HRBACK, 2007 only)
For a full list and other details about hearing related variables see HEARING,quality of hearing, available for 1997-2009).
Apart from changes in universe, changes in the response categories from 2002 to 2007 also reduce comparability over time. In 2007, the categories of "brain tumor" and "ear disease" were added to the survey. In 2002, respondents would most likely indicate "some other cause" for these causes. However, the number of respondents indicating these two causes was fairly small in 2007. Researchers who wish to compare over time can recode these more specific causes from the 2007 survey into the "some other cause" category.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have a little or a lot of trouble hearing or who are deaf.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have trouble hearing or are deaf OR whose hearing is good or hearing status is unknown AND who hear worse in one ear than the other.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT