Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults and sample children who had taken two or more herbal supplements in the past 30 days (HERMOSUPNO) and had taken the second supplement for different reasons than they had taken the first (HER2SAME1), HER2USWELL indicates whether respondents had used a second herbal supplement for general health or wellness.
Other reasons for using a second herbal supplement that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- HER2DRUGCOST (Prescription or non-prescription drugs too expensive)
- HER2USHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- HER2USIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- HER2USMEDCOST (Medical treatment too expensive)
- HER2USMEDFAIL (Medical treatment did not help)
- HER2MENT (Improved mental ability or memory)
- HER2PHYS (Improved physical performance)
- HER2USRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
- HER2SEX (Improved sexual performance)
- HER2SPORT (Improved sports performance)
- HER2TREAT (Treat a disease or health problem)
- HER2PREV (Prevent a disease or health problem)
- HER2SAME1 (Whether taken for same reasons as 1st herbal supplement taken)
Parallel information was recorded on sample adults' reasons for taking their first herbal supplement. (See, for example, HER1USWELL.)
For information about the full range of variables related to natural herbs, including a definition of "natural herbs," see HERYR.
Prior to 2012, in universe persons were asked about a series of specific health problems, symptoms, or conditions they may have treated with different complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies. Beginning in 2012, persons were instead asked to select three of sixteen therapies that were most important and only asked the series of questions related to treating health problems, symptoms, or conditions about these top three therapies. Persons who did not include a first herbal supplement among their top three CAM therapies did not answer follow up questions for this therapy beginning in 2012 and are reported as responding no.
Additionally, sample children aged 4-17 are included in the universe beginning in 2012. Otherwise, there are no comparability issues.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have taken two or more herbal supplements in the past 30 days.
- 2012: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children ages 4-17 who have reported having at least one top CAM therapy and using this therapy to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007, 2012