Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had taken two or more herbal supplements in the past 30 days (HERMOSUPNO), HER2SAME1 indicates whether respondents had taken the second herbal supplement for the same reasons or for different reasons than they had taken the first herbal supplement.
Respondents who indicated that they had taken the second herb for different reasons than they had taken the first, were asked to supply a reason for taking that second herb. The reasons for using a second herbal supplement that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- HER2DRUGCOST (Prescription or non-prescription drugs too expensive)
- HER2USHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- HER2USIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- HER2USMEDCOST (Medical treatment too expensive)
- HER2USMEDFAIL (Medical treatment did not help)
- HER2MENT (Improved mental ability or memory)
- HER2PHYS (Improved physical performance)
- HER2USRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
- HER2SEX (Improved sexual performance)
- HER2USWELL (General wellness)
- HER2SPORT (Improved sports performance)
- HER2TREAT (Treat a disease or health problem)
- HER2PREV (Prevent a disease or health problem)
Parallel information was recorded on sample adults' reasons for taking their first herbal supplement. (See, for example, HER1DRUGCOST.)
For information about the full range of variables related to natural herbs, including a definition of "natural herbs," see HERYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have taken two or more herbal supplements in the past 30 days.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT