Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2007 who had taken one or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days (HERMOSUPNO) and had taken the first herbal supplement to treat or cure a specific health problem or condition (HER1TREAT), HER1PMED identifies those who had also received prescription medication for the condition for which they most used a first herbal supplement (HER1TCONMOST).
For persons who had received such medication (i.e., those with a "yes" response in HER1PMED), the complementary variable HER1PMEDTIM indicates whether they received such prescription medication before, at about the same time, or after they began taking the first herbal supplement.
The survey question for HER1TPMED also collected information about the use of other conventional medical treatments (or no conventional treatment) for the condition for which the first herbal supplement was used the most, including:
- Mental health counseling (HER1COUN)
- Over-the-counter medications (HER1NPMED)
- Surgery (HER1SURG)
- Physical therapy (HER1PT)
- No conventional treatment (HER1TNOCONV)
Interviewers asked, "Did you receive any of these conventional medical treatments for [condition for which first herbal supplement was used the most]?" and entered all treatments reported by the respondent.
For respondents who had taken a second herbal supplement during the past 30 days (HERMOSUPNO) and had taken that second herbal supplement to treat or cure a specific health problem or condition (HER2TREAT), information was similarly collected on whether the person also received prescription medication or other forms of conventional medical treatment for the condition for which they most used the second herbal supplement (HER2TCONMOST). See, for example, HER2PMED.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have taken one or more herbal supplements during the past 30 days and took the first herbal supplement to treat or cure a specific health problem or condition.
- 2012: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children ages 4-17 who have reported having at least one top CAM therapy and using this therapy to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007, 2012