Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2007 who had received prescription medication (HER1PMED) for the condition they used a first herbal supplement for the most (HER1TCONMOST), HER1PMEDTIM indicates whether they received such prescription medication before, at about the same time, or after they began using the first herbal supplement.
To collect this information, interviewers asked, "Did you receive any of these conventional medical treatments for [condition for which first herbal supplement was used the most]?" and entered all treatments reported by the respondent. For each treatment reported, interviewers asked whether such treatment was received before, at about the same time, or after beginning to take the first herbal supplement.
Similar information was collected on the use of other conventional medical treatments, and the timing of those conventional treatments, in the following variables:
- Received mental health counseling (HER1COUN)
- Timing of mental health counseling (HER1COUNTIM)
- Received over-the-counter medications (HER1NPMED)
- Timing of over-the-counter medications (HER1NPMEDTI)
- Received physical therapy (HER1PT)
- Timing of physical therapy (HER1PTTIM)
- Received surgery (HER1SURG)
- Timing of surgery (HER1SURGTIM)
For sample adults in 2007 who took a second herbal supplement to treat a specific condition and also received prescription medication to treat that condition (HER2PMED), similar information was collected on the timing of that prescription medication (HER2PMEDTIM) and the use and timing of other conventional medical treatments.
For more information about the full range of variables related to natural herbs, including a definition of the term "natural herbs," see HERYR and HERMO.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who received prescription medications for the condition they used the first herbal supplement to treat or cure the most.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT