Codes and Frequencies
For all sample adults who have fallen in the past 12 months (FELYR), this variable indicates whether respondents had fallen (during the past 12 months) because they had a problem with medicine. Earlier in the survey, interviewers told respondents that a fall was defined as, "unexpectedly dropping to the floor or ground from a standing, walking or bending position."
In 2008, variables on falls or falling were included in the Sample Adult Balance Supplement.
For a description of the Supplement as well as a full list of the balance related topics and additional variables in the Supplement, see BALDIZYR.
This variable is one of 22 variables specifying reasons why the respondent fell. Respondents were asked to say yes or no to each reason; the other 21 are included in the 2008 Supplement.
- had a problem using a walker, cane or other aid (FELWHYAID)
- had nothing to hold onto (FELWHYHOLD)
- tripped or stumbled (FELWHYTRIP)
- slipped (FELWHYSLIP)
- hurried too much (FELWHYHURRY)
- were not paying attention (FELWHYATTEN)
- blacked out or fainted (FELWHYFAINT)
- lost their balance (FELWHYLOSBAL)
- knocked over by someone or something (FELWHYKNOCK)
- were playing sports or exercising (FELWHYEXER)
- had a problem hearing (FELWHYHEAR)
- had a problem with vision (FELWHYVISN)
- getting up after sitting or lying down (FELWHYGETUP)
- were walking up or down stairs (FELWHYSTAIR)
- slow reactions or reflexes (FELWHYREFLEX)
- weakness or numbness in one or both legs (FELWHYNUMB)
- had not eaten recently or had low blood sugar (FELWHYNOEAT)
- drank too much alcohol (FELWHYALC)
- problem with shoes, sandals or socks (FELWHYSHOE)
- other health condition (FELWHYHELTH)
- some other reason (FELWHYOTHR)
Other variables related to falls or falling include:
- any of six symptoms accompanying the fall (e.g., a spinning sensation, FELARSPIN)
- injuries from a fall (e.g., FELINJURYR)
- time missed from work due to fall (e.g., FELWKLOSNO)
- 2008: Sample adults age 18+ who have fallen during the past 12 months.
- 2008 : SAMPWEIGHT