Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had ever been told that they had a kind of cancer other than the kinds listed on the survey form (CNOTHR), CNOTHRAG reports how old the person was when this "other kind" of cancer was first diagnosed.
A series of variables report age at first diagnosis of the specific types of cancer listed on the survey form:
- blood cancer (CNBLODAG)
- bone cancer (CNBONEAG)
- brain cancer (CNBRANAG)
- breast cancer (CNBRESAG)
- cervical cancer (CNCERVAG)
- colon cancer (CNCOLNAG)
- esophageal cancer (CNESOPAG)
- gallbladder cancer (CNGALLAG)
- kidney cancer (CNKIDNAG)
- larynx-windpipe cancer (CNLARXAG)
- leukemia (CNLEUKAG)
- liver cancer (CNLIVRAG)
- lung cancer (CNLUNGAG)
- lymphoma (CNLYMPAG)
- melanoma (CNMELNAG)
- mouth, lip, or tongue cancer (CNMOTHAG)
- ovarian cancer (CNOVARAG)
- pancreatic cancer (CNPANCAG)
- prostate cancer (CNPROSAG)
- rectal cancer (CNRECTAG)
- (non-melanoma) skin cancer (CNSKNMAG)
- skin cancer of an unknown type (CNSKDKAG)
- soft tissue (muscle or fat) cancer (CNSOFTAG)
- stomach cancer (CNSTOMAG)
- testicular cancer (CNTESTAG)
- throat-pharynx cancer (CNTHROAG)
- thyroid cancer (CNTHYRAG)
- uterine cancer (CNUTERAG)
CNOTHRAG must be interpreted relative to these variables, because CNOTHRAG refers to age at diagnosis of a type of cancer not included in the above list.
From 2008 to 2011, specific cancer diagnosis variables with a frequency count less than 4 were removed from the public use file for confidentiality reasons. From 2012 forward, cancer diagnosis variables with a frequency count less than 20 and those considered clinically rare according to the National Institute of Health's list of rare diseases were removed from the public use file. Individuals whose specific cancer diagnosis information was suppressed had their value of CNOTHR recoded to "Mentioned" (2). Because cancers that meet those criteria change from year to year, the kinds of cancers suppressed from the public file and subsequently included in the frequency count of CNOTHR and given a valid value for CNOTHRAG changes from year to year.
- 1987: Half of sample adults aged 18+ who ever told they had other cancer.
- 1997-2018: Sample adults aged 18+ who ever told they had other cancer.
- 1987, 1997-2018
- 1987, 1997-2018 : SAMPWEIGHT