Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had ever been told that they had leukemia (CNLEUK), CNLEUKAG reports how old the person was when leukemia was first diagnosed.
CNLEUKAG is one of a series of variables reporting age at first diagnosis of specific types of cancer. Other variables in the series report age at diagnosis of the following types of cancer:
- blood cancer (CNBLODAG)
- bone cancer (CNBONEAG)
- brain cancer (CNBRANAG)
- breast cancer (CNBRESAG)
- cervical cancer (CNCERVAG)
- colon cancer (CNCOLNAG)
- esophageal cancer (CNESOPAG)
- gallbladder cancer (CNGALLAG)
- kidney cancer (CNKIDNAG)
- larynx-windpipe cancer (CNLARXAG)
- liver cancer (CNLIVRAG)
- lung cancer (CNLUNGAG)
- lymphoma (CNLYMPAG)
- melanoma (CNMELNAG)
- mouth, lip, or tongue cancer (CNMOTHAG)
- ovarian cancer (CNOVARAG)
- pancreatic cancer (CNPANCAG)
- prostate cancer (CNPROSAG)
- rectal cancer (CNRECTAG)
- (melanoma) skin cancer (CNSKMELNAG)
- (non-melanoma) skin cancer (CNSKNMAG)
- skin cancer of an unknown type (CNSKDKAG)
- soft tissue (muscle or fat) cancer (CNSOFTAG)
- stomach cancer (CNSTOMAG)
- testicular cancer (CNTESTAG)
- throat-pharynx cancer (CNTHROAG)
- thyroid cancer (CNTHYRAG)
- uterine cancer (CNUTERAG)
The age at first diagnosis for any other kind of cancer not previously listed is reported in CNOTHRAG.
With the exception of the questionnaire redesign introduced in 2019, this variable is completely comparable over time. The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
- 1997-2018: Sample adults age 18+ who were ever told they had leukemia.
- 2019-2021: Sample adults age 18+ who were ever told they had leukemia (CNLEUK).
- 1997-2021 : SAMPWEIGHT