Codes and Frequencies
CHEUSMEDFAIL indicates whether sample adults had used chelation therapy because "conventional medical treatments would not help you" (2002) or "because medical treatments did not help" (2007). Only sample adults who had seen a practitioner for chelation therapy during the past 12 months (CHEYR) and, in 2002, had used chelation therapy for a specific health problem or condition (CHETREAT) were asked their reasons for using chelation therapy.
Other reasons for using chelation therapy that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- CHEUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- CHEUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- CHEUSWELL (General wellness)
- CHEUSHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- CHEUSMEDCOST (Medical treatment expensive)
- CHEUSINTER (Interesting to try)
- CHEUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- CHEUSRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
For information about the full range of variables related to chelation therapy, including definitions, see CHEYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for chelation therapy during the past 12 months and have used chelation therapy to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for chelation therapy during the past 12 months.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT