Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who were ever told by a doctor or other health professional of the cause(s) of their most bothersome dizziness or balance problem (BALHPDIAG), BALCOGAN indicates whether Cogan's or Sjogren's syndrome was one of the causes. This variable is one of 16 variables specifying a cause of the balance problem, which were asked of respondents who answered affirmatively responses to BALHPDIAG.
In 2008, this variable was part of the Sample Adult Balance Supplement, sponsored by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.
The supplement consisted of a total 205 questions (some of which were only asked based on a previous response).
For a further description of the supplement as well as a full list of the balance related topics and additional variables, see BALDIZYR
Respondents could report more than one cause, and the other 15 causes related to BALCOGAN included in the 2008 Supplement.
- antibiotics given intravenously (BALCANTIB)
- arthritis (BALCARTH)
- diabetes (BALCDIABET)
- heart disease (BALCHEART)
- loose crystals in the ear (BALCHRYST)
- inner ear infection (BALCINEAR)
- Meniere's disease (BALCMENIER)
- migraines (BALCMIGRAN)
- neurological or muscular conditions (BALCNEUROL)
- Concussion (BALCONCUS)
- medication side effect (BALCRXEFECT)
- stroke (BALCSTROKE)
- TMJ (BALCTMJ)
- brain tumor(BALCTUMOR)
- other (BALCOTHER)
The Field Representative's Manuals includes instructions for interviewers to, "...pick the best pre-coded answer categories based on the answer provided by the respondent. If necessary, you can read the answer categories to the respondent. You will need to take special care when putting responses in the correct category. "
Variables related to the use of health services for balance problems can be found under:
- ever gone to the hospital for balance or dizziness (BALGOHOSPEV)
- ever seen health professional for balance or dizziness (BALSAWHPEV)
- times saw health professional, past 5 years for balance or dizziness (BALHPNO5Y)
- times since first saw health professional for balance or dizziness (BALHPTIM1ST)
- total number of health professionals seen for balance or dizziness (BALHPSEEN)
- feel that the health professional helped with the balance or dizziness (BALHPHELP)
- 2008: Sample adults age 18+ who were told cause of symptoms of dizziness or balance problem.
- 2008 : SAMPWEIGHT