Codes and Frequencies
For sample children in 2007 who had taken two or more vitamin supplements during the past 30 days (VITMO) and had taken the second vitamin supplement to treat a specific health problem or condition (VIT2TREAT), VIT2TSKINC indicates whether the child had used a vitamin supplement to treat other skin problems--children.
Other skin problems--children was one of 29 possible specific conditions that sample children (but not sample adults) could report treating with vitamin supplements.
The other such conditions are:
- abdominal pain (VIT2TABDOM)
- acne (VIT2TACNE)
- anemia -- children (VIT2TANEMC)
- back or neck pain (VIT2TBNPAIN)
- colitis (VIT2TCOLIT)
- congenital heart disease (VIT2TCONGHD)
- Down syndrome (VIT2TDOWN)
- ear infections (VIT2TEARINF)
- eczema or skin allergy (VIT2TECZEM)
- allergy to food (VIT2TFALL)
- fatigue (VIT2TFATIG)
- fever (VIT2TFEVER)
- cystic fibrosis (VIT2TFIBROS)
- incontinence (VIT2TINCON)
- muscular dystrophy (VIT2TMUSCD)
- neurological problems (VIT2TNEUROL)
- other allergies -- children (VIT2TOALLC)
- other heart conditions -- children (VIT2TOHARTC)
- other chronic pain (VIT2TOTHPAIN)
- cerebral palsy (VIT2TPALSY)
- chicken pox (VIT2TPOX)
- respiratory allergy (VIT2TRALL)
- sickle cell anemia (VIT2TSICKL)
- non-strep sore throat (VIT2TSORET)
- stammering or stuttering (VIT2TSTAM)
- strep throat or tonsillitis (VIT2TSTREP)
- nausea or vomiting (VIT2TVOMIT)
- warts (VIT2TWART)
There are 30 other conditions that both sample children and sample adults could report treating with vitamin supplements. For the full list of conditions, see VIT2TREAT.
Persons taking more than one vitamin supplement during the past 30 days were also asked whether their first vitamin supplement was used to treat a specific problem or condition (VIT1TREAT) and, if so, what was that condition. Similarly, persons taking herbal supplements during the past 30 days (HERMO) were asked whether those herbal supplements were used to treat a specific condition (see HER1TREAT and HER2TREAT).
VIT2MOST reports the specific second vitamin supplement (out of 20 possible vitamins) that was taken most often by the respondent. Analysts interested in the treatment of other skin problems--children by other vitamin or herbal supplements should see the related variables VIT1TSKINC, HER1TSKINC, and HER2TSKINC. The corresponding variables VIT1MOST, HER1MOST, and HER2MOST indicate which vitamin or herbal supplement was taken.
Sample adults, but not sample children, were also asked about their use of vitamin supplements to prevent (rather than to treat) health problems or conditions (VIT1PREV and VIT2PREV). Because other skin problems--children was a condition recognized only for sample children, there is no variable on the use of vitamin supplements to prevent other skin problems--children. For more information on the full range of variables related to the use of vitamin supplements, see VITMO.
- 2007: Sample children under 18 who have taken two or more vitamin supplements during the past 30 days and took the second vitamin supplement to treat a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT