Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2007 who had taken two or more vitamin or mineral supplements during the past 30 days (VITMOSUPNO) and had taken the second vitamin/mineral supplement to treat or cure a specific health problem or condition (VIT2TREAT), VIT2TCONMOST reports for which health condition the respondent had most taken a second vitamin/mineral supplement.
Respondents were first asked, "For what specific health problems or conditions did you take [fill: 2nd vitamin]?" (See VIT2MOST for the second vitamin/mineral supplement taken most often by the respondent.) Sample adults could report that they had used a second vitamin/mineral supplement to treat any of 82 health problems or conditions--81 specific conditions plus 1 residual "other" category--recognized by the 2007 NHIS. See VIT2TADD for the full list of conditions.
If the respondent indicated that the second vitamin/mineral supplement was used to treat more than one condition (VIT2TCONNO), he or she was asked the question for VIT2TCONMOST: "For which one of these health problems or conditions did you take [fill: 2nd vitamin] the most?" Interviewers were instructed, "If respondent cannot choose one condition, probe for condition most important for using [fill: 2nd vitamin]."
With respondents who had taken a first vitamin/mineral supplement during the past 30 days to treat specific health problems (VIT1TREAT), interviewers pursued a similar line of questioning about the specific health problems or conditions treated by a first vitamin/mineral supplement (e.g., see VIT1TCONMOST).
Researchers interested in the conditions most treated by other modalities of complementary and alternative medicine may wish to consult these summary variables:
- Acupuncture (ACUTCONMOST)
- Ayurveda (AYUTCONMOST)
- Biofeedback (BIOTCONMOST)
- Chelation (CHETCONMOST)
- Chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation (COMTCONMOST)
- Special diets (DITTCONMOST)
- Energy healing (EHTTCONMOST)
- Folk medicine (FOKTCONMOST)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMTCONMOST)
- Hypnosis (HYPTCONMOST)
- Massage (MASTCONMOST)
- Movement techniques (MOVTCONMOST)
- Naturopathy (NATTCONMOST)
- Relaxation techniques (RELTCONMOST)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQTCONMOST)
Researchers interested in the conditions prevented by vitamin/mineral supplements may wish to consult the following summary variables:
- Condition for which 1st vitamin supplement was taken to prevent most (VIT1PMOST)
- Condition for which 2nd vitamin supplement was taken to prevent most (VIT2PCONMOST)
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have taken two or more vitamin supplements during the past 30 days and took the second vitamin supplement to treat or cure a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT