Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 55 and older who were not blind in both eyes, VDIFREADMAGL indicates if the respondent uses a magnifying glass to read or to do "other close work," regardless if they were wearing glasses or contacts. Respondents could answer "yes" or "no."
The Field Representative's Manual states that the magnifying glass did not have to be prescribed, and if the response was qualified in anyway (such as "only sometimes"), interviewers should consider this a "yes." No definition of term "other close work" was provided in the Manual.
Other variables related to vision problems are available in 1984.
- CONTACTS Uses contact lenses, 1971, 1979-1981, 1984
- GLASSES Uses eyeglasses (prescription or non-prescription), 1971, 1979-1981, 1984
- GLASSESRX Uses prescription eyeglasses 1984 only
- LENSIMPLANT Has a lens implant, 1984 only
- VDIF Had trouble seeing with one or both eyes, even when wearing glasses, 1984 only
- VDIFAMOUNT Amount of vision trouble. 1984 only
- VDIFPEPL2FT, Sees enough to recognize the features of people if they are within two or three feet, 1984 only
- VDIFSEEFREND Sees enough to recognize a friend across the street, 1984 only
- VDIFREADNEWS Sees enough to read newspaper print, 1984 only
- VDIFSTEPCURB Sees enough to step off curb or step, 1984 only
- VDIFSEETV Sees enough to watch TV, 1984 only
- 1984: Sample persons age 55+ who are not blind in both eyes.
- 1984 : SAMPWEIGHT