Codes and Frequencies
Respondents were asked about their level of difficulty seeing, even when wearing glasses.
In 2010, this item was collected for sample adults who completed the Quality of Life (QOL) supplement (administered to approximately a quarter of sample adults). In 2011-2017, this item was collected for sample adults who completed the Adult Functioning and Disability (AFD) supplement (administered to a subset of sample adults). Beginning in 2018, this item was included on the sample adult questionnaire. Changes in survey design (e.g., quarters in which the information was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights.
- 1984: Sample persons age 55+ who are not blind in both eyes.
- 2010: One quarter of sample adults (not included in the family disability supplement).
- 2011: Sample adults 18+ who were selected to receive the family disability questions (FDB).
- 2012-2017: Sample adults 18+ who were asked the Family Disability questions (FDB) and were randomly selected to receive the Functioning and Disability (AFD) section.
- 2018: Sample adults aged 18 and older.
- 1984, 2010-2018