Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 55 and older who were not blind and did not say they did not use eyeglasses, LENSIMPLANT indicates if the respondent has a lens implant.
The Field Representative's Manual defined a lens implant as an "artificial lens which are surgically and permanently placed inside the eyes, and sometimes referred to as an intraocular lens.
Other variables related to vision problems are available in1984.
- CONTACTS Uses contact lenses, 1971, 1979-1981, 1984
- GLASSES Uses eyeglasses (prescription or non-prescription), 1971, 1979-1981, 1984
- GLASSESRX Uses prescription eyeglasses 1984 only
- VDIF Now have trouble seeing even with glasses, 1984 only
- VDIFAMOUNT Amount of vision trouble, 1984 only
- VDIFPEPL2FT Sees enough to recognize people w/in 2 feet, 1984 only
- VDIFSEEFREND Sees enough to recognize friend across street, 1984 only
- VDIFREADNEWS Sees enough to read newspaper, 1984 only
- VDIFSEETV Sees enough to watch TV, 1984 only
- VDIFSTEPCURB Sees enough to step off curb or step, 1984 only
- VDIFREADMAGL Uses magnifying glass to read, 1984 only
- 1984: Sample persons age 55+ who are not blind in both eyes and who did not say that they did not ever have an operation for cataracts.
- 1988: All persons.
- 1984, 1988