Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had used a relaxation technique during the past 12 months (RELBRETHYR, RELGIMYR, RELMEDYR, RELRELAXYR, RELSTRESYR, or RELSUPYR), RELUSCOPE indicates whether they had used a relaxation technique "to cope with having an illness."
Other reasons for using relaxation techniques that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- RELUSHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- RELUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- RELUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- RELUSMEDCOST (Medical treatments expensive)
- RELUSMEDFAIL (Medical treatment not help)
- RELUSINTER (Interesting to try)
- RELUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- RELUSRELREC (Family or friends recommended)
- RELUSWELL (General wellness)
For information about the full range of variables related to relaxation techniques, including definitions, see RELMEDYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have used a relaxation technique during the past 12 months.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT