Codes and Frequencies
For sample children under 18 in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for a therapeutic movement technique during the past 12 months (MOVALEXYR, MOVFELDYR, MOVPILATYR, MOVTRAGYR) and had used a movement technique to treat a specific health problem or condition (MOVTREAT), MOVTBNPAIN indicates whether the child had used a movement technique to treat back or neck pain.
Back or neck pain was one of 29 possible specific conditions that sample children (but not sample adults) could report treating with a movement technique.
The other such conditions are:
- abdominal pain (MOVTABDOM, 2007 only)
- acne (MOVTACNE, 2007 only)
- anemia -- children (MOVTANEMC, 2007 only)
- colitis (MOVTCOLIT, 2007 only)
- congenital heart disease (MOVTCONGHD, 2007 only)
- Down syndrome (MOVTDOWN, 2007 only)
- ear infections (MOVTEARINF, 2007 only)
- eczema or skin allergy (MOVTECZEM, 2007 only)
- allergy to food (MOVTFALL, 2007 only)
- fatigue (MOVTFATIG, 2007 only)
- fever (MOVTFEVER, 2007 only)
- cystic fibrosis (MOVTFIBROS, 2007 only)
- incontinence (MOVTINCON, 2007 only)
- muscular dystrophy (MOVTMUSCD, 2007 only)
- neurological problems (MOVTNEUROL, 2007 only)
- other allergies -- children (MOVTOALLC, 2007 only)
- other heart conditions -- children (MOVTOHARTC, 2007 only)
- other chronic pain (MOVTOTHPAIN, 2007 only)
- cerebral palsy (MOVTPALSY, 2007 only)
- chicken pox (MOVTPOX, 2007 only)
- respiratory allergy (MOVTRALL, 2007 only)
- sickle cell anemia (MOVTSICKL, 2007 only)
- other skin problems--children (MOVTSKINC, 2007 only)
- non-strep sore throat (MOVTSORET, 2007 only)
- stammering or stuttering (MOVTSTAM, 2007 only)
- strep throat or tonsillitis (MOVTSTREP, 2007 only)
- nausea or vomiting (MOVTVOMIT, 2007 only)
- warts (MOVTWART, 2007 only)
There are 30 other conditions that both sample children and sample adults could report treating with a movement technique. For the full list of conditions, see MOVTREAT.
Altogether, 16 modalities of alternative medicine were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. The use of movement techniques, however, was only included in the 2007 Supplement. Persons could report treating back or neck pain by 15 of the 16 alternative health modalities. The omitted alternative treatment is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only; however, back or neck pain was not a specific condition recognized in 2002. (See PRARITYR for more information about the treatment of specific conditions by prayer.) Analysts interested in the treatment of back or neck pain by alternative therapies other than movement techniques should see ACUYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments. Additionally, MOVALEXYR provides a summary of other movement technique-related questions and definitions.
MOVTBNPAIN is only available for 2007. Survey participants were not asked about using movement techniques to treat most specific health conditions in 2002, and back or neck pain was not a condition covered by the CAM supplement in 2002.
In 2007, the question for sample children asked, "During the past 12 months, for what health problems or conditions did [fill: sample child's name] use [fill: Feldenkreis/Alexander Technique/Pilates/Trager Psychophysical Integration]?"
MOVTBNPAIN should be interpreted in conjunction with MOVALEXYR, MOVFELDYR, MOVPILATYR, and MOVTRAGYR, which indicate the specific movement technique used by the survey participant.
- 2007: Sample children under 18 who have seen a practitioner for movement technique during the past 12 months and have used movement technique for specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT