Codes and Frequencies
For sample children under 18 in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for a therapeutic movement technique during the past 12 months (MOVALEXYR, MOVFELDYR, MOVPILATYR, MOVTRAGYR) and had used a movement technique to treat a specific health problem or condition (MOVTREAT), MOVTSKINC indicates whether the child had used a movement technique to treat other skin problems (children).
Other skin problems (children) was one of 29 possible specific conditions that sample children (but not sample adults) could report treating with a movement technique.
The other such conditions are:
- abdominal pain (MOVTABDOM, 2007 only)
- acne (MOVTACNE, 2007 only)
- anemia -- children (MOVTANEMC, 2007 only)
- back or neck pain (MOVTBNPAIN, 2007 only)
- colitis or frequent diarrhea (MOVTCOLIT, 2007 only)
- congenital heart disease (MOVTCONGHD, 2007 only)
- down syndrome (MOVTDOWN, 2007 only)
- ear infections (3+) (MOVTEARINF, 2007 only)
- eczema or skin allergy (MOVTECZEM, 2007 only)
- allergy to food (MOVTFALL, 2007 only)
- fatigue (MOVTFATIG, 2007 only)
- fever (MOVTFEVER, 2007 only)
- cystic fibrosis (MOVTFIBROS, 2007 only)
- incontinence (MOVTINCON, 2007 only)
- muscular dystrophy (MOVTMUSCD, 2007 only)
- neurological problem (MOVTNEUROL, 2007 only)
- other allergies (children) (MOVTOALLC, 2007 only)
- other heart condition (children) (MOVTOHARTC, 2007 only)
- other chronic pain (MOVTOTHPAIN, 2007 only)
- cerebral palsy (MOVTPALSY, 2007 only)
- chicken pox (MOVTPOX, 2007 only)
- respiratory allergy (MOVTRALL, 2007 only)
- sickle cell anemia (MOVTSICKL, 2007 only)
- non-strep sore throat (MOVTSORET, 2007 only)
- stammering or stuttering (MOVTSTAM, 2007 only)
- strep throat or tonsillitis (MOVTSTREP, 2007 only)
- nausea or vomiting (MOVTVOMIT, 2007 only)
- warts (MOVTWART, 2007 only)
There are 30 other conditions that both sample children and sample adults could report treating with a movement technique. For the full list of conditions, see MOVTREAT.
Movement techniques is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. In both 2002 and 2007, information about movement techniques was collected on many topics (such as the cost of treatment); however, only the 2007 survey included questions about using a movement technique to treat a standard list of specific conditions. (See MOVALEXYR for more information.)
Persons could report treating other skin problems (children) by 15 of the 16 alternative health modalities. The omitted alternative treatment is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only; however, other skin problems (children) was not a specific condition recognized in 2002. (See PRASELFEV for more information about the treatment of specific conditions by prayer.) Analysts interested in the treatment of other skin problems (children) by alternative therapies other than movement techniques should see MOVALEXYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments, as well as for a summary of other movement technique-related questions and definitions.
MOVTSKINC is only available for 2007. Survey participants were not asked about using movement techniques to treat most specific health conditions in 2002, and other skin problems (children) was not a condition covered by the CAM supplement in 2002.
In 2007, the question for sample children asked, "During the past 12 months, for what health problems or conditions did [fill: sample child's name] use [fill: Feldenkreis/Alexander Technique/Pilates/Trager Psychophysical Integration]?"
MOVTSKINC should be interpreted in conjunction with MOVALEXYR, MOVFELDYR, MOVPILATYR, and MOVTRAGYR, which indicate the specific movement technique used by the survey participant.
- 2007: Sample children under 18 who have seen a practitioner for movement technique during the past 12 months and have used movement technique for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT