Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults aged 18 and over, MDSMQADV reports whether, during the past 12 months, a medical doctor or other health professional advised the respondent to quit smoking or quit using other kinds of tobacco.
MDSMQADV is one of a series of variables dealing with doctor advice.
- 2000; 2005: Sample adults age 18+ who smoked at least 100 cigarettes in their entire lives and now smoke or have quit smoking within the past year and have seen a doctor within the past 12 months.
- 2001: Sample adults 18+ with 1+ usual (and specific) place to go when sick/need advice or who had a specific kind of place usually go to for routine preventive care or who saw a particular and specific health professional for health care AND who had visited their place/provider during the past 12 months AND who were current smokers who smoked cigarettes either every day or some days or who had quit smoking cigarettes one year ago or less.
- 2010; 2015: Sample adults 18+ who have seen a doctor or other health professional in the past year and are current smokers or former smokers who have quit in the past 12 months or who currently smoke cigars, use snuff, or chew tobacco every day or some days.
- 2000-2001, 2005, 2010, 2015
- 2000-2001, 2005, 2010 : SAMPWEIGHT