Codes and Frequencies
For persons ages 18 and older who have ever smoked a pipe (PIPEV) or, in 1998, sample adults aged 18 and older who ever smoked a pipe and did not refuse to answer whether they had ever smoked a pipe at least 50 times in their life (1998), this variable how frequently the person smoked a pipe at the time of the survey.
Please see the Universe tab for changes in the universe over time. Beginning in 2015, "pipe" was defined as "regular pipes, water pipes, or hookahs" that were filled with tobacco. Prior to 2015, "pipe" was person defined.
The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
- 1998: Sample adults age 18+ who ever smoked a pipe and who did not refuse to answer whether they had smoked a pipe 50 times in their life.
- 2000; 2005; 2015-2018: Sample adults age 18+ who ever smoked a pipe.
- 2019-2022: Sample adults age 18+ who ever smoked a regular pipe, water pipe, or hookah filled with tobacco.
- 1998, 2000, 2005, 2015-2022
- 1998, 2000, 2005, 2015-2022 : SAMPWEIGHT