Codes and Frequencies
For sample children under 18 in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for hypnosis in the past 12 months (HYPYR) and had used hypnosis to treat a specific health problem or condition (HYPTREAT), HYPTWART indicates whether the child had used hypnosis to treat warts.
Warts was one of 29 possible specific conditions that sample children (but not sample adults) could report treating with hypnosis.
The other such conditions are:
- abdominal pain (HYPTABDOM, 2007 only)
- acne (HYPTACNE, 2007 only)
- anemia (HYPTANEMC, 2007 only)
- back or neck pain (HYPTBNPAIN, 2007 only)
- colitis or frequent diarrhea (HYPTCOLIT, 2007 only)
- congenital heart disease (HYPTCONGHD, 2007 only)
- down syndrome (HYPTDOWN, 2007 only)
- ear infections (3+) (HYPTEARINF, 2007 only)
- allergy to food (HYPTFALL, 2007 only)
- eczema or skin allergy (HYPTECZEM, 2007 only)
- fatigue (HYPTFATIG, 2007 only)
- fever (HYPTFEVER, 2007 only)
- cystic fibrosis (HYPTFIBROS, 2007 only)
- incontinence (HYPTINCON, 2007 only)
- muscular dystrophy (HYPTMUSCD, 2007 only)
- neurological problems (HYPTNEUROL, 2007 only)
- other allergies (children) (HYPTOALLC, 2007 only)
- other heart condition (children) (HYPTOHARTC, 2007 only)
- other chronic pain (HYPTOTHPAIN, 2007 only)
- cerebral palsy (HYPTPALSY, 2007 only)
- chicken pox (HYPTPOX, 2007 only)
- respiratory allergy (HYPTRALL, 2007 only)
- sickle cell anemia (HYPTSICKL, 2007 only)
- other skin problems (children) (HYPTSKINC, 2007 only)
- non-strep sore throat (HYPTSORET, 2007 only)
- stammering or stuttering (HYPTSTAM, 2007 only)
- strep throat or tonsillitis (HYPTSTREP, 2007 only)
- nausea or vomiting (HYPTVOMIT, 2007 only)
There are 30 other conditions that both sample children and sample adults could report treating with hypnosis. For the full list of conditions, see HYPTREAT.
Hypnosis is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. In both 2002 and 2007, information about hypnosis was collected on many topics (such as the cost of treatment); however, only the 2007 survey included questions about using hypnosis to treat a standard list of specific conditions. (See HYPYR for more information.)
Persons could report treating warts by 15 of the 16 alternative health modalities. The omitted alternative treatment is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only; however, warts was not a specific conditions recognized in 2002. (See PRASELFEV for more information about the treatment of specific conditions by prayer.) Analysts interested in the treatment of warts by alternative therapies other than hypnosis should see HYPYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments, as well as for a summary of other hypnosis-related questions and definitions.
- 2007: Sample children under 18 who have seen a practitioner for hypnosis during the past 12 months and have used hypnosis for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT