Codes and Frequencies
For sample children aged 4 to 17 who had at least minor difficulties with emotions, concentration, behavior, or being able to get along with others in the past 6 months (EMODIFF), DIFTNONEED indicates whether, in the past 6 months, the child needed treatment or counseling for these difficulties, but did not get it.
For children with an affirmative response in DIFTNONEED, interviewers asked what kept the child from getting treatment or counseling.
Possible responses were:
- Too expensive
- Did not know where to go
- Previous negative experience with professionals
- Afraid or dislike professionals
- Afraid child would be removed from home or lose custody
- Afraid of family or friends' opinion
- Wait a long time for appointment
- Had no way to get there
- Services too inconvenient to use
- Services too far away
- Child did not want to go
- Other reason
In 2010, responses to the original NHIS variable were categorized as "not true, somewhat true, or certainly true" that they had received needed mental health counseling or treatment. Because no one responded "certainly true," IPUMS NHIS staff recoded "not true" responses to "yes" and "somewhat true" responses to "no" responses to enhance comparability with changes to the response categories in subsequent years. Beginning in 2011, the categories changed to "yes or no". Please refer to Survey Text tab for detailed information. Otherwise there are no comparability issues.
- 2010-2013: Sample children age 4 to 17 who currently have or have had at least minor difficulties with emotions, concentration, behavior, or being able to get along in the past 6 months.
- No weights are available for this variable. Please refer to DIFTNONEED for more information.