Codes and Frequencies
For sample adult women who ever had a breast physical exam (by a doctor or other health professional (BXEV), BXLEST reports the estimated time since the most recent breast physical exam. Prior to 2019, the universe was further restricted to those who did not know or report the date of the last exam.
- BXLDYR: year of the most recent breast physical exam
- BXLDMO: month of the most recent breast physical exam
Changes in the universe (particularly with regard to age) and the questionnaire redesign introduced in 2019 limit comparability of samples. Analysts should review the universe tab for such changes across years. The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
- 1999: Female sample adults age 18+ who ever had a breast physical exam and REF/NA/DK date of last exam.
- 2000; 2005: Female sample adults age 30+ who ever had a clinical breast exam and REF/NA/DK date of last exam.
- 2010; 2015: Female sample adults 30+ who have had a breast exam and REF/DK date of breast exam or selected years ago for the time period format
- 2019: Female sample adults age 30+ who ever had a breast exam (BXEV).
- 1999-2000, 2005, 2010, 2015, 2019
- 1999-2000, 2005, 2010, 2015, 2019 : SAMPWEIGHT