Codes and Frequencies
For all sample adults, BALMEDANTER indicates whether the respondent took antibiotics injected into the ear for any health condition or problem. Respondents were first asked if they currently take any medicine on a regular basis for any health problems or conditions RXTAKEREG, and affirmative answers who also reported having a dizziness or balance problem were asked if any of the medicine caused their dizziness or balance problems it to get worse RXBALPROB.
In 2008, the question for this variable was part of the Sample Adult Balance Supplement, sponsored by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.
The supplement consisted of a total 205 questions (some of which were only asked based on a previous response). For a further description of the Supplement as well as a full list of the balance related topics and additional variables, see BALDIZYR.
Respondents were asked whether they took any of seven other medications included in the 2008 Supplement.
- antibiotics through a needle or tube (I.V.) (BALMEDANTIV)
- diuretics (BALMEDDIUR)
- Antivert (trademark superscript) (Meclizine) for dizziness, nausea or vomiting (BALMEDAVERT)
- medicine or patches for motion sickness, nausea or vomiting (BALMEDANTER)
- medicine or patches for motion sickness, nausea or vomiting (BALMEDMSICK)
- medicines for anxiety (BALMEDANX)
- chemotherpay (BALMEDCHEMO)
- 2008: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2008 : SAMPWEIGHT