Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had used high dose or megavitamin therapy (2002) or had taken vitamin or mineral supplements (2007) during the past 12 months (VITYR and VITANY) and had told a conventional medical professional about their use of high dose/megavitamin therapy or vitamin/mineral supplements (VITYLCONVHP), VITYLNURS indicates whether they had reported their use of high dose/megavitamin therapy or vitamin/mineral supplements to a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
In 2002, interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, did you let any of these conventional medical professionals know about your use of high dose or megavitamin therapy?" In 2007, the question was nearly identical but referred to "vitamins" rather than "high dose or megavitamin therapy." In both years, the interviewer then handed the respondent a card listing several types of conventional health care practitioners. If the answer was affirmative (i.e., a "Yes" response in VITYLCONVHP), interviewers asked the follow-up question, "Which ones [did you tell]?" and noted, "You may choose more than one."
In both 2002 and 2007, the list of conventional medical professionals included, along with "nurse practitioner/physician assistant":
- Medical doctor (including specialists) (VITYLMD)
- Psychiatrist (VITLPSYCHI)
- Dentist (including specialists) (VITYLDENT)
In 2007, the list included additional categories of conventional medical professionals:
- Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) (VITLDO)
- Psychologist/Social Worker (VITLPSYCHO)
- Pharmacist (VITLPHARM)
For more information about the full range of variables related to vitamins, including a definition of "high dose or megavitamin therapy," see VITYR and VITANY.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used high dose or megavitamin therapy for their own health or treatment during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of high dose or megavitamin therapy.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have used vitamins during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of vitamins.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT