Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had ever used vitamins for their own health or treatment (VITEV) and had used high dose or megavitamin therapy for this purpose (VITMEGAEV) during the past 12 months (VITYR), VITYDHE indicates whether the respondent had taken DHEA in high dose.
Respondents who acknowledged using high dose or megavitamin therapy for their own health or treatment during the past 12 months (i.e., a "Yes" in VITYR) were shown a flash card with a list of 10 vitamins and asked, "During the past 12 months, did you take any of the following vitamins in high dose?" Respondents were told that they "may choose more than one."
DHEA is one of 12 vitamin/mineral supplements recognized by the NHIS in various years that respondents could report using during the past 12 months.
The other such vitamin/mineral supplements, along with the years these variables are available, are:
- Beta carotene (VITABETA, 2005)
- Calcium (VITACALC, 1992, 2000, 2002, 2005)
- Vitamin A (only) (VITAMINA, 1992, 2000)
- Vitamin C (VITAMINC, 1992, 2000, 2002)
- Vitamin E (VITAMINE, 1992, 2000, 2002, 2005)
- Multi-vitamin (VITAMULTV, 1992, 2000, 2002, 2005)
- Selenium (VITASELN, 2002, 2005)
- Coenzyme Q-10 (VITYCOEN, 2002)
- Vitamins A and/or D (VITYVITAD, 2002)
- Vitamin B complex (VITYVITB, 2002)
- Zinc (VITYZINC, 2002)
For more on the full range of variables related to high dose vitamin intake, including a definition of high dose or megavitamin therapy, see VITYR. To learn how, in years other than 2002, information was collected on the intake of specific vitamins and minerals during the previous year, see VITACALC.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used high dose or megavitamin therapy for their health or treatment during the past 12 months.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT