Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults in 2002 who had used high dose or megavitamin therapy for their own health during the past 12 months (VITYR) and had used high dose or megavitamin therapy to treat at least one specific health problem or condition (VITYTREAT), VITYCON1HELP reports the degree of help that the respondent received from using high dose or megavitamin therapy to treat the first of the three conditions considered most bothersome (VITYCON1).
The 2002 NHIS recognized 74 conditions (including an "other" category) that respondents could have treated with high dose or megavitamin therapy. (See VITYTREAT for the full list.) To obtain responses to VITYCON1, VITYCON2, and VITYCON3, the interviewer first asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use high dose or megavitamin therapy?" After recording all answers, the interviewer displayed the list of conditions reported by the respondent and asked, "Which three of these are the most bothersome?"
Respondents were then asked, "How much do you think high dose or megavitamin therapy helped your (display for each condition)? Would you say a great deal, some, only a little, or not at all?" Responses to this question are reported in VITYCON1HELP, VITYCON2HELP, and VITYCON3HELP.
Variables similar to VITYCON1HELP, which report the degree of help provided by other modalities of alternative medicine for the first of the three most bothersome conditions, include:
- Acupuncture (ACUCON1HELP)
- Ayurveda (AYUCON1HELP)
- Biofeedback (BIOCON1HELP)
- Chelation (CHECON1HELP)
- Chiropractic care (COMCON1HELP)
- Special diet (DITCON1HELP)
- Energy healing therapy (EHTCON1HELP)
- Folk medicine (FOKCON1HELP)
- Natural herbs (HERYCON1HELP)
- Homeopathic treatment (HOMCON1HELP)
- Massage (MASCON1HELP)
- Naturopathy (NATCON1HELP)
- Healing ritual/sacrament (PRACON1HELP)
- Relaxation techniques (RELCON1HELP)
- Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong (YTQCON1HELP)
For more information on the full range of variables related to high dose or megavitamin therapy, see VITYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used high dose or megavitamin therapy for their health or treatment during the past 12 months, who have used high dose or megavitamin therapy to treat a specific health problem or condition, and the health problem or condition specified was listed first as one of the three most bothersome health problems or conditions.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT