Codes and Frequencies
For sample person age 20 and older, STROKESYMPNO is a recoded variable reporting the number of stroke symptoms that person experienced in the past 12 months.
A series of questions were asked in 1977 about stroke symptoms and, for those with stroke symptoms, whether medical attention was sought/provided.
Stroke symptom and follow-up variables:
- (PARALYSISYR) Had sudden paralysis or weakness of arm/leg, past 12 months
- (NUMBNESSYR) Had sudden numbness on one side of body, past 12 months
- (VISIONLOSSYR) Had sudden loss of vision, past 12 months
- (SPEECHLOSSYR) Had sudden loss of speech, past 12 months
- (STROKSAWDRYR) Saw doctor after 1+ stroke symptoms, past 12 months
- (STROKEHOSPYR) Hospitalized after stroke symptoms, past 12 months
See the drop down menu for additional related variables.
- 1977: Persons age 20+.
- 1977 : PERWEIGHT