Codes and Frequencies
For persons age 20 and older, NUMBNESSYR reports whether the person had sudden numbness on one side of the body in the past 12 months. For those who experienced numbness, the question differentiates between symptoms that lasted less than or more than 24 hours.
A series of questions were asked in 1977 about stroke symptoms and, for those with stroke symptoms, whether medical attention was sought/provided.
Stroke symptom and follow-up variables:
- (PARALYSISYR) Had sudden paralysis or weakness of arm/leg, past 12 months
- (VISIONLOSSYR) Had sudden loss of vision, past 12 months
- (SPEECHLOSSYR) Had sudden loss of speech, past 12 months
- (STROKESYMPNO) Number of stroke symptoms, past 12 months
- (STROKSAWDRYR) Saw doctor after 1+ stroke symptoms, past 12 months
- (STROKEHOSPYR) Hospitalized after stroke symptoms, past 12 months
See the drop down menu for additional related variables.
- 1977: Persons age 20+.
- 1977 : PERWEIGHT