Codes and Frequencies
For sample person age 20 and older who experienced one or more stroke symptoms in the past 12 months, STROKEHOSPYR reports whether that person was hospitalized because of the symptom(s).
A series of questions were asked in 1977 about stroke symptoms and, for those with stroke symptoms, whether medical attention was sought/provided.
Stroke symptom and follow-up variables:
- (PARALYSISYR) Had sudden paralysis or weakness of arm/leg, past 12 months
- (NUMBNESSYR) Had sudden numbness on one side of body, past 12 months
- (VISIONLOSSYR) Had sudden loss of vision, past 12 months
- (SPEECHLOSSYR) Had sudden loss of speech, past 12 months
- (STROKESYMPNO) Number of stroke symptoms, past 12 months
- (STROKSAWDRYR) Saw doctor after 1+ stroke symptoms, past 12 months
See the drop down menu for additional related variables.
- 1977: Persons age 20+.
- 1977 : PERWEIGHT