Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had never used meditation (RELMEDEV), RELNEVSAFE identifies those who responded, "It is not safe to use" when asked, "Please tell me the reasons why you have ever used meditation." Respondents could supply more than one reason for never having used meditation.
Other reasons for never using meditation are recorded in the following variables:
- RELNEVCOST (Too expensive)
- RELNEVHC (HC worker said not to)
- RELNEVKNOW (Didn't know about it)
- RELNEVNEED (Not needed)
- RELNEVPROOF (Not proven to work)
- RELNEVTHINK (Never thought of it)
- RELNEVWORK (Doesn't work)
- RELNEVREAS (No reason)
- RELNEVOTH (Some other reason)
Although 16 alternative health modalities were covered in the 2007 alternative health supplement, only in the case of acupuncture (see ACUNEVCOST), chiropractic and osteopathic manipulation (see COMNEVCOST), meditation, and yoga (see YTQNEVCOST) were survey participants who had ever used a method questioned about why they had never used the method.
For more information about the full range of variables related meditation, including definitions, see RELMEDYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have never used meditation.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT