Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18 and older, RADHEAR reports if the respondent has ever heard of radon.
RADHEAR is included in the sample adult section within a series of questions about environmental health concerns, including testing for lead and radon. For more information and related variables, please use the IPUMS NHIS search function and drop-down menus.
Sample adults were asked additional questions about radon testing.
- RADTEST indicates if the household air was tested for radon
- RADTESTNY indicates if anyone plans to have the home tested for radon in the next year
Respondents who had tested for radon were asked several follow up questions.
- RADWHO reports who decided to test for radon
- RADLEVEL reports the radon level in picocuries per liter
- RADGUIDE indicates if the radon level is above or below EPA guidelines
- RADONHARM reports how harmful to health the respondent believes the radon level in the home to be
- RADFOLUP indicates if radon follow-up tests were conducted after the household was first tested for radon
- RADDONE indicates if anything has been done to reduce the level of radon exposure in the home
- RADACTPLAN indicates if anyone plans to do something to reduce the level of radon exposure in the home
Possible actions to reduce the level of radon exposure include:
- RADACTVENT: increased ventilation
- RADACTMOVE: moved out or spent less time in the basement
- RADACTMODH: modified home (e.g., sealed cracks, installed ventilation system)
- RADACTSMOK: stopped or decreased smoking
- RADACTOTH: some other activity to reduce the level of radon exposure
- RADACTDK: doesn't know the activity used to reduce the level of radon exposure
Respondents who believed radon to be unhealthy (RADACTDK) were asked about conditions they thought might be caused by radon exposure.
- 1990: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1991: Sample persons age 18+ in quarters 3 and 4.
- 1993: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 3 and 4 (excluded from AIDS supplement)
- 1994: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from AIDS supplement).
- 1998: Sample adults age 18+.
- 1990-1991, 1993-1994, 1998