Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons age 18 and over who did not refuse the bowel function questions, this variable indicates if the respondent had lot of trouble with pain in their arms and legs other than joint pain in the past 12 months. "A lot of trouble" was defined as the respondent saw or talked to a doctor or other health professional, took medication more than once, or the problem interfered with their life or usual activities.
This question was part of the "Normative Bowel Functions" section in a Supplement on Digestive Disorders the 1989 survey. Interviewers prefaced the section on normative bowel functions with the statement, "The next questions are about bowel habits during the past 12 months. Because these questions are personal, I can read the questions to you or if you prefer, you can fill them out yourself." The question for OLIMBPAINYR
was then introduced to the respondent by handing them a card with a list 18 of health problems to which they respondent would reply "yes" or no as to whether the condition was "a lot of trouble."
The Supplement on Digestive Disorders had 3 sections. The first asked about specific conditions such as gallstones, ulcers or colon or bowel conditions (see IRRBOWELYR , ever told by a doctor or other health professional that they had "inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel, or constipation severe enough to require medication). The second asked about abdominal pain (such as ABPAIN3XYR, had abdominal pain 3 or more times, past 12 months). The third was on normative bowel functions, which included OLIMBPAINYR.
Other variables related to OLIMBPAINYR are included inthe 1989 normative bowel function section.
- BMFREQXDAY, frequency of own bowel movements: times per day (see also BMFREQRANG, frequency of own bowel movements: reported range and BMNORMXWK, frequency one should have bowel movements: times per week)
- BMNORMXDAY , frequency one should have bowel movements: times per day
- BMYRHARD, bowel movements in past 12 months were hard
- BMYRSTRAIN, bowel movements in past 12 months with straining
- BMYRMUCUS, bowel movements in past 12 months with mucus
- BMYRPAIN, bowel movements in past 12 months accompanied by pain
- BMYRUNFIN bowel movements in past 12 months followed by a feeling of not being finished
- BMYRBLOAT, bowel movements in past 12 months accompanied by swelling or bloating
- DIARFREQYR, how often have diarrhea, past 12 months
- DIARSAWMDYR,saw doctor about diarrhea, past 12 months
- (see also DIARDIAGCON1, the first of four possible causes of diarrhea diagnosis)
- DIARSAWMDX,times saw doctor about diarrhea, past 12 months
- CONSTFREQYR,how often constipated, past 12 months
- LAXATIVEMO,used laxative or stool softener, past 30 days
- 1989: Sample persons age 18+ who did not refuse to complete bowel function questions.
- 1989 : SUPP2WT